As an approved artist in residence I offer a wide range of programs for school age children from preschool through highschool. Not all programs involve cooking or using a kitchen while it is always beneficial to have acess as children will learn more efectively in a kitchen environment.
World of Flavor
Sight smell and taste: Identifying the world of flavor and exploring memeories through food.
- can be adapted for any age
- this course explores the world of flavor and engages young eaters in exploring new sights and smells, interpreting the world through food
- introduce cultural awareness through traditional and indigienous foods on a global and local level
- We introduce the need to learn indigenous traditions of food preparation and preservation
We use colors shapes and smells to identify fruits, vegetables, grains, spices and flavor profiles. We discuss the concept of memory recall through food and how our experiences with food enrich our memories and can trigger emotions. We look at local foods and discuss preparing and preserving. Kids are asked to find out what traditional foods or food traditions are used in their home and discuss it’s history with parents.
Basic Nutrition and How to navigate the Grocery Store
- reading labels
- basic nutrtiotoin
- understanding leyworkd like minerals, graind, processed, organic, high fructose corn syrup
- how to make the smartest choices you can for your home
- learning basic cooking skills
- stocking a simple pantry
- folowing a recipe and then not following a recipe
- acid, sugar, salt
- ratio cooking
- learing creativity and fearlessnes through food and cooking
- exploring a creative life thorugh food and being an creative cook.
- It’s better to be real than perfect
- Learn how to cook, try new recipes learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun.